The health and beauty benefits of eating more raw fruit, vegetables, nuts and seeds are widely accepted. Last week we looked at the why: 6 great reasons why you should start eating raw now.
Now it’s time for the how (to eat more raw). These ideas are taken from my own diet. I make, eat and thoroughly enjoy all of these and more. I have for 7+ years and do totally recommend that you try them.
Of course there are hundreds of ways to eat more raw these are just a few of my favourites picked because they have fantastic health and beauty benefits, they are easy to make and they taste awesome.
Lets get started and in no particular order.
Simple and Delicious Ways to Eat More Raw
- Green Juice
A green juice a day keeps the doctor away!!!
- it’s quick and easy to make
- it’s delicious
- it packs a powerhouse punch of nutrients, vitamins and enzymes. All alive and readily available for your body to use as it needs and pleases
- it’s easily digestible, so all the goodies go straight into your system
- it’s portable so you can grab it and go
- you can suit it to your own tastes by choosing ingredients you enjoy
Here’s my regular Green Juice recipe. I drink this every morning. 8 ingredients = 8 towards my ‘5 a day’ and Ive not even left the house yet👍
Green Juice– my regular recipe
- 1 slice fresh pineapple (1 inch) (to sweeten your juice)
- 2 cups spinach and/or kale
- 1 stick celery
- 1 carrot
- 1 broccoli piece ( around 2 inch diameter)
- Wedge cabbage (around 2 inch diameter)
- 1 piece cucumber (3 inch approximately)
- 1.5 inch fresh ginger
Juice in your juicer or blend and strain through nut milk bag. Serve with ice and a squeeze of lemon or lime if you fancy it. This makes 1 glass of juice.
Just be careful to prioritise the greens and the vegetables, keep the portions of fruit down. One portion of fruit should be enough to sweeten anyones green juice. (i.e. an apple, an orange, a slice of fresh pineapple and so on). Fruit is fine to eat freely when you eat the whole fruit, but in juicing its easy to overdo it. You don’t want too much liquid sugar in your diet.
For this reason its always best to make your own green juice, many of the high street ones just have too much sugar and they also use fruit concentrates. You really just want to be drinking whole fresh fruit and vegetables freshly juiced.
A note on equipment for juicing: I use a high speed blender and squeeze through a nut milk bag. It works very well, and although they can be pricey they are indispensable and will be well used for a healthy diet and lifestyle.
If you want to use a juicer then the masticating variety works much better at extracting the juice of the leafy greens which are an essential ingredient in the mix. Oscars are the number one of masticating juicers.
2. Green smoothies
Green smoothies are awesome. You basically just pop all ingredients in your blender and blitz. No straining, just pour out all the goodness , including the fibre, add ice and or toppings if you like.
- They are alive and kicking with an array of nutrients, vitamins and enzymes
- They can be a complete meal, often including all required macronutrients.
- They are fast, easy and portable, just blitz and go
- They are extremely satisfying and moreish
Again watch out for sugar levels. They can also contain lots of healthy fats and proteins which is a good thing but if you are watching your weight just be careful. Always best to make your own so that you can control what’s going into them.
Smoothies are basically made up of:
- Some form of fluid – plant based milk like coconut or almond , milk or kefir etc
- Fruits and vegetables – including greens like spinach, kale or chard, tropical fruit, berries, bananas etc
- Protein/fat – nuts, seeds like chia, sesame or flax, nut/seed butters like almond or pumpkin seed butter etc
- Toppings/ supplements like cinamon, cacao nibs, coconut, Macao powder, turmeric etc
The internet is awash with ideas for smoothies.
Here’s my green smoothie recipe it’s sweet and simple, a bit like me😂
Green Juice versus Green Smoothies
There’s a bit of debate in the natural health community about which one of the above is the best. The rough arguments are as follows:
On the juice side-Juice is better because of the sheer volume and variety of fruit and vegetables you can pack in and dilute to a manageable amount. More produce = more health goodies. Its liquid form also makes it easy to digest so the vitamins, nutrients and enzymes are readily available for the body to use.
On the smoothie side-Smoothies are better because unlike juice they contain all the fibre of the produce. We need fibre for a healthy digestion, which in turn is essential for our health. Also smoothies are a complete meal often containing all our required macronutrients.
For me the answer is simple. They are both winners.
We don’t need to choose. We can choose one or the other or both to suit our whims and needs.
3. Chia Seed Pudding
Just yum. You can have chia seed pudding for breakfast, lunch, dessert, whenever you want really.
Chia seeds dont really taste of anything so you can make them anything you want.
You can do banoffee pie flavour, chocolate, strawberry, fruits of the forest, lemon, orange and ginger, pineapple and cinnamon, the list is endless anything you want.
You name it you can do it. Just add milk (always plant based for me) and other healthy ingredients, normally fruit and/or spices,coconut chips, cacao nibs, nuts,seeds. You can sweeten with banana, honey , coconut sugar or just cut up dates.
But the best thing is, its mega healthy, mega filling and not mega calorific.
Chia seeds may not taste of anything but they are super packed with nutrients. In fact, they are known and touted as a superfood. High in nutrients, fibre and antioxidants, low in calories, high in good fats with a good amount of plant based protein in them too and gluten free. Whats not to like?
A portion size is said to be 2 tablespoon. I normally eat 2.5 tablespoons, 1 tablespoon = 60 calories.
This is my normal day to day recipe. I eat this for breakfast.
My Favourite Chia Seed Pudding recipe
- 2.5 tablespoons Chia Seeds
- Homemade coconut milk enough to cover seeds by about an inch
- half teaspoon raw honey (Vegan can use coconut sugar)
- 5 frozen organic raspberries
- 3 organic strawberries cut up
- 1 portion of fresh pineapple cut up
- 5 dried sour cherries (soaked overnight if I remember)
Put chia seeds in bowl cover with milk then stir. Stir in the rest of the ingredients except the honey and allow to set. (10 minutes to overnight whatever suits you) Spread the honey over the top of the pudding or stir in.
- Chia seed pudding sets so can be portable easily with the right container
- You can make them ahead of time by soaking them overnight or you can make them with just minutes to spare
- They are extremely healthy, in fact they are a superfood
- They can’t help but be tasty, you make them to suit your own tastebuds. You might also want to adjust the setting time so that the texture is to your taste. Note: if you dont like the texture you can blend them to a mousse texture.
- Chia seeds are great for weight control, they form a thick gel which expands in your tummy making you feel full. They also contain healthy fats and protein keeping you full for longer and are low in calories.
4. Raw Dessert/Sweet treats
If you try nothing else please try these. They will change your life.
Can you imagine a world where that sweet treat you are yearning for and trying to resist is actually healthy? And I mean actually healthy not pretend healthy like stated on the wrappers of so called healthy processed ‘foods’. Can you imagine a world where just 1 of your sweet treats is genuinely enough for you, you have no craving to eat another one? (ok sometimes maybe 2)🤥
The internet is awash with raw sweet recipes. You will find many recipes of your old favourites in raw form, like raw banoffe pie. You will find raw lemon tart, truffles, chocolate cake…and so on.
Im a big chocolate fiend.
I love chocolate, But it has to be dark and strong. Ooh er missus😂
… but that’s ok because dark unsweetened chocolate is actually very healthy…
My favourite chocolate treat is my own raw chocolate brownie recipe which i eat 2x per day. One for breakfast, one for supper .😋
- They are my comfort food.
- You can make these and most raw dessert in advance and freeze them for when you are ready to eat them. I make a batch of around 24, which if it was just me eating them (yeah right😏)would last 12 days.
- They can be low sugar. I use 1 tablespoon of coconut sugar for the whole batch which makes the amount of sugar per brownie, one 24th of a tablespoon. In other words, very low. You can slowly work your way towards this, gradually lowering the amount of sugar you use.
- They are nutritious, delicious and so satisfying.
Its true that although containing mega healthy ingredients and being amazingly tasty many raw sweets are extremely high in calories. But they dont have to be…
They are so so simple to make yourself.
You can then control the amount of sweetener you put in. If you have a sweet tooth, start where you are comfortable and lower it gradually, you won’t even notice. Take it to the lowest level you can where you are still really enjoying the treat.
Your tastebuds will adapt and get used to the lowering sugar levels. You will start to reset and enjoy the flavours of the whole item and not just the sugar.
Because they are raw you can taste the recipe as you go along, testing the sugar levels.
I’m shortly planning on sending my very own, secret and beyond awesome Raw Chocolate Brownie recipe, (free of charge of course), to all my email subscribers.
If you would like one and haven’t yet subscribed to receive my weekly blog posts directly into your inbox thats no problem. Just subscribe and it will be yours.
5. Salad Swap
Simply swap out your current cooked vegetables for a delicious raw salad to accompany your dinner. You can start at just once per week and possibly build it up to a level you are happy with. You may find, like me, that you actually prefer it and have it just about every day with just about everything.
Im not talking about boring lettuce, tomato and cucumber (although if you like that feel free).
Make sure you pick salad ingredients that you love. Make it exciting with different flavours and textures.
- Add a bit of natural sweetness, it can make all the difference, I add a pear. This really works for me.
- Add texture. Make sure you have crunchy vegetables and soft ones.
- Add contrast. Sweet and bitter. crunchy and soft, contrasting colours etc
- Add herbs. I love tarragon for a nice liquorice flavour.
- Add dark greens. I always eat a dark green vegetable like spinach and/or rocket for their nutritional benefits. If you find these kinds of vegetables difficult , it may help to chop them up quite small.
- Add a dressing if you like, yes even an oil based one but for the love of god make it yourself, don’t use a bottle of processed yuck to poison and spoil your salad. A splurge of extra virgin oil, a a splodge of vinegar or lemon juice, salt and pepper, should do the trick. My current favourite is 100% raw and unprocessed, grated fresh ginger and a squidge of lime juice. Totally recommended. ()
- Add topping. Sprinkle on nuts and seeds like chopped walnuts, sesame seeds, flax seeds for added nutrition and texture. (I tend not to do this when I eat my salad with meat since Im already eating enough fats and proteins in the meat)
So that’s my 5 easy and delicious ways to eat more raw.
Introducing just one of these tips into your life should result quick and noticeable benefits for you in the way that you look and feel.
The more of them you do the better you will look and feel but take it step by step and action by action, it’s a winning philosophy .
Let me know what you think of these ideas and my recipes, how you get on with them. Tell me if you are feeling and seeing the benefits. Are you having any problems adding them to your daily routine. Do you have any questions or suggestions of your own. I would love to know, tell me in the comments section below or email firstname.lastname@example.org
To see a Food List of what I eat click here.
Food isn’t the only think that nourishes me, to see the Healthy Habits that enhance my life click here
Amazingly Healthy Life helping you Feel, Look and Be Amazing from the inside out, at any age.
If I can do it so can you!
I m very excited to be working on my Amazing Health Lifestyle Reset course. I know it’s going to help so many women. Yes
Full details coming soon but here’s an outline:
- An online 6 week live course
- The number 1 objective and committment of the course is to inspire healthy eating habits, but a total lifestyle reset is offered.
- Leading you step by step , day by day, through the reset and offering advice and support from myself.
- Personal guidance to help you negotiate any obstacles on your way to success.
- Active student forum for you to motivate each other, share ideas, problems and more.
- Helping you make good habits and break bad ones.
- Mindset reset
- Lifestyle reset
- Tastebuds reset
- Basic recipes, video demonstrations, advanced techniques and demos.
- Suggestions of weekly menus and shopping for those who want it. You don’t have to think, “what’s for dinner” if you don’t want to.
- Inside Out. Tackles many problems with just one goal.
- Holistic – We are aiming for health of the Mind, Body and Soul
- Learn simple organic beauty routines
- Never be hungry
- Get peace of mind
- Tips for when you travel
Try out Amazing Health lifestyle reset course. See if it fits! If not, you can always go back to your old lifestyle having completely nourished and cherished yourself for 6 weeks, your body will thank you for it.
You may decide that you love it so much and you feel and look so good that you just keep on going.
Dying to try it to see if it works?
Excellent choice! Just subscribe below to be first to get the details when its ready.
Email subscribers will get first dibs on the first course to run and also a nice discount. All I need is your first name and email address in the box below.
Amazingly Healthy Life, helping you Feel, Look and Be Amazing from the inside out, at any age.
I would love to hear your thoughts, suggestions and questions in the comments section below.