One day we wake up and we are 40… meaning we are now middle aged. This fills most women with horror. Old ideas, perceptions and images of what middle aged is and represents are not encouraging. Nowadays though, there is no need to worry. By prioritising yourself and your own health, you can age beautifully. You can unleash a complexion that you would have killed for back in the day. Getting healthy will shine, magnify and multiply your natural beauty. This is healthy beauty and it works at any any age.
When I was 22 I thought I was old…passed it. No seriously, I really did. I remember thinking it. The absurdity of this truth has helped me a lot over the years to just be happy with what I’ve got and who I am now…Because I know that in 20 years time, my 72 year old self is going to look back and think how beautiful and young I was at 52 and I want to appreciate and enjoy that fact now, not look back with regret wishing I had realised it and enjoyed it at the time.
Are We Middle Aged?
In my 40’s I desperately searched for the answer NO to this question but unfortunately the answer is yes. Even at the tender age of 40, if we are lucky enough to live until 80 , that’s still half way. We are in the middle. There is no getting away from it.
Should we rebrand– Middle aged – it’s such a negative term. Surely we could come up with something better. Since we are in the Prime of our Lives, the term Prime Lifers could be appropriate. I think that has a more positive feel to it. What do you think?
What images does the term middle aged conjure up?
- Greying hair
- Going to seed
- Excess fat around the middle
- Invisible even
- Undesirable and Undesiring
- Must wear appropriate clothes
Not a pretty picture really.
Not something to aspire to. It’s no wonder it fills us with horror and dread.
Middle Aged Realities – Angst/symptoms
What are the realities in your life? Do some or all of these sound familiar to you.
- Are you worried that you are losing your looks? or that you will never be able to regain your youthful figure?
- Are you suffering from the dreaded middle aged spread?
- Are you getting bloated belly?
- Is you skin looking a bit dull and lifeless?
- Have your eyes lost their sparkle are they a bit puffy, do you have black circles under your eyes?
- Are your joints starting to ache, muscles getting a bit tired and weak?
- Have you lost your get up and go, your Va Va Voom?
- Do you feel like life is passing you by and you haven’t achieved your full potential?
- Do you yearn to laugh and love like you did when you were in your youth?
- Do you wonder what happened to that crazy, vivacious child that was once you. (the one that used to relish the rain, get on her khagoul and wellies and tramp about in the puddles for fun) Where is she?
- Are you starting to suffer from lifestyle dis-ease and/or digestive issues?
I confess, at some point or another over the past 12 years, I can hold my hand up to all of the above.
Some will say these are all just part of getting older and that’s true up to a point. Certain things do start to fail and fall as you get older. You get a bit scuffy around the edges. You’re bound to feel a bit jaded.
Also, at some point in our 40s and 50s we have hormonal changes to contend with. This is very real and no laughing matter. Amongst many other symptoms hormonal changes can (note the word can not will) contribute to weight gain. To read more about hormonal weight gain click here
Age Related or Neglect?
All of this angst and these symptoms though, they do not happen solely because of your age. They are there because of years… decades of neglect. I know this because I had them and now I don’t…
- Eating junk food, poisons, addictions and bad habits
- Neglecting to feed our bodies with the proper nutrition it needs to function
- Lack of exercise
- Lack of relaxation
- A life full of stress
- No stress management
- No play time
- Not getting enough sleep
- Burning the candle at both ends…
Of course we will all have some signs of aging it is inevitable…
…But surely anyone can see that neglecting ourselves as I’ve described above… Pumping our bodies full of chemicals and toxins while at the same time not feeding our bodies with the nutrients it needs to function correctly… is a recipe that’s bound to end in disaster.
That disaster often starts to happen around middle age as the carefree attitude of our youthful selves, the blatant disregard for our own health, starts to catch up with us.
Have you ever wondered how the rich and famous stay looking so good into their 40s and beyond. Yes I know, some have very good surgeons, but that can only do so much. Do they have a secret?
Can I tell you a secret? You’re too young to be old!
When we get older, from where Im sitting, we have 2 choices:
- Give up and let ourselves go to seed.
- Get wiser and start prioritising ourselves and our health.
Presuming that since you are reading this you’re not ready for choice number 1 yet I give you…
When you are healthy on the inside it shines through to the outside giving you glowing skin, sparkling life, filled eyes, a healthy figure, a healthy head of hair, a spring in your step, that energy , the internal joy seeping from every pore of your body that comes from complete health and wellbeing. This is Healthy Beauty.
I’m not just talking about healthy diet and exercise to look after our physical bodies and appearance although that is important. We need to look after mind, body and spirit. Taking care of all 3 adds up to one healthy, happy and beautiful person.
When you feel good you look good. When you are happy you look good. There’s nothing more attractive than a happy person.
How To get Healthy Beauty? click items for more.
- Learn to Love Yourself
- Eat real food
- Ditch the junk and poisons
- Exercise 3x per week
- Effective stress management
- Relaxation every day
- Meditate every day
- Sleep 8 hours per day
- Fit some playtime into your life
- Do a job you enjoy, enjoy your work
- Have lots of time with friends and family
- Get Outside
Those seemingly age defying celebrities you see in their 40s, 50s, 60s and indeed beyond, they already know this. Of course they have surgeons and injectables… But no surgeon in the world can give you that unmistakeable Healthy Beauty look and the internal happiness that shines through from a person who has true health.
Join my mailing list for more blog posts like this, news about my Healthy and Loving It coaching programs plus my Zoom Egyptian Bellydance classes.
Next Healthy and Loving It starts 9th January 2021.
Click picture to find out more.
Do you have a question? Use my cool new feature ‘Ask Amazingly Healthy”. It’s free and really easy click below.
I’m also offering a free Eating Habits Checkup. Click below.
Zoom Egyptian Bellydance Classes. Click below to find out more and sign up.